Thursday, November 8, 2012

Britt's November Challenge, Day 8: Education



Today I had the opportunity to sit in on prospective student interviews for the College of Nursing at University of Colorado, Denver.  Needless to say, it was an absolute honor to interact with the majority of the students. Their life experiences, authentic motivation, positive attitude and vast diversity was refreshing and I couldn't help but get excited about these future nurses. Not only were these students drawn to the University of Colorado, Denver for a multitude of reasons, they were specifically drawn to the College of Nursing for the reputation,  available resources and state of the art facilities. I admit that as a student, after getting through the first couple of weeks, when everything is new and exciting, and being months into the program now, I have stopped appreciating all that is around me. Today was a real eye opening experience, not only did it remind me to slow down, appreciate and enjoy this "ride" called nursing school, it also allowed me to reflect on how fortunate I am to not only be in nursing school at the University of Colorado, but how easily accessible education is in the US. It seems like a no brainer, but, after hearing some of the applicant's cultural experiences, education is nothing short of a gift, and for that I am beyond grateful.